From humiliation to jubilation: Following the process works!


Hello, again,

In my previous blogs, I admitted to some very painful, and illuminating, mistakes that I’d made in my journey to achieve my dreams of becoming a published writer. But it wasn’t all bad, I assure you. As with any adventure, there will be stumbling blocks, detours and landslides that will befall you. The ones I’ve previously shared, were just a few of the more notable incidents that I’ve encountered. With each challenge that I faced, I had to make a choice: Do I stop here? Or do I find a way to resolve the issue and rectify the problem?

I’ve come to understand that there are steps that must be taken in every situation. Unless, of course, you are magically inclined and, like Samantha Stevens from the Bewitched television show, you can twitch your nose and make it happen. As the saying goes, “each journey begins with the first step.”

I’d like to share with you some of the steps that I’ve learned over the years. Most of the points I’ll be sharing with you, I learned through attending writer’s workshops, writing classes and online research. Other’s I’ve cultivated myself from necessity.

Now, I’ve never been one to do an outline. Honestly, I loathe the very thought of them. However, in one of the workshops I attended, I was informed, (joy of joys,) that a formal outline is necessary only if you’re comfortable with it. There’s no reason you can’t create one that is more to your liking. So, that’s what I did. I suppose some would look at my outline more as a “chapter by chapter” synopsis. But, hey, it works for me and maybe it will work for you as well.

This is my process in building a manuscript:

Step 1) When I get an idea for a story, it usually starts with a beginning and is immediately followed by the ending. (Not always, but most of the time this is how it works for me.) I get it down on paper as soon as the idea hits me and I let it percolate for a bit. Sometimes it comes fast and hard and others it may take a few days to work itself out in my head.

Step 2) While the story is percolating, I consider my characters; who are they? Where do they come from? What do they look like? What are their names? Stuff like that. This is where I start getting serious and create Character Bios. Again, this doesn’t have to be anything formal but should be as detailed as possible. Especially if you’re planning on writing a sequel or a series. Consistency is key in any book or series. Just ask Nora Roberts, James Patterson, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Dan Brown and all those well-known writers whose names are household words.

I, personally, create a bio for each of the main characters appearing in my story. I’ll write up a less detailed one for those who will only be making cameo appearances in this as well as possible future books.

Note: Be as detailed as possible. Consider your bios as if they are icebergs; nearly 75% is beneath the water. Therefore, you’ll only be using about 25% of what you write.

The following are things that I include in my main characters’ bios:
  • Ø  Character’s name
  • Ø  Character’s age
  • Ø  Character’s family, (living and deceased)
  • Ø  Character’s physical traits (hair & eye color, tattoos, scars, walks with a limp etc.)
  • Ø  Their character traits (morality, belief’s etc.)
  • Ø  Their history (make it as detailed as you can. Remember, you’ll only be using a tiny bit of this information in your book, but it will help you get to know your characters as you build your story.)      
  • Ø  What was the happiest event of their childhood
  • Ø  What was the most devastating event of their life
  • Ø  Their favorite possession or lucky charm
  • Ø  Their favorite food & beverage
  • Ø  What they drive
  • Ø  Their best friend during childhood and whether they’re still in contact or not. How this relationship affects them in your story
  • Ø  Last, but not least, 5 words that describe your character.

Once I’ve completed my bios, I print them out and place them in a three-ring binder. This helps me keep everything pertaining to this particular book in one place for easy access.

Step 3) As the story begins to flesh itself out, usually while I’m writing the bios, I begin my “outline.” I start with whether there will be a Prologue, Prelude or Preface, and write a short synopsis of what will happen in each subsequent chapter. This aids me in finding my voice/rhythm, arc, plots, sub-plots, mini-climax, main climax and, finally, conflict resolution and ending. When this is done, I print it out and put it in the binder with the bios. Again, this helps keep everything within easy access for quick reference when needed.

Step 4) Using my “outline” as a guide, I begin to build the first rough draft of the story. More often than not, the characters and storyline will take me in a completely different direction than I originally expect. This is one of the main reasons I say I use it as a guide rather than a roadmap.

Step 5) Once the rough draft is completed, I go over it again. Sometimes this step takes the longest because I often add more depth and description.

Note: I use the “read aloud” function that comes with the Microsoft Word program. I’ve found this to be one of the most useful tools ever invented when it comes to going over your written work. Not only does the function read each word, it highlights them as well so you can insure proper word usage and spelling.

Step 6) Once I’m happy with my final rough draft, I ship it off, via e-mail, to my editor. (In my previous blog I stated, emphatically, that this step should NEVER be skipped.)

Step 7) Once I receive my editor’s notes and suggestions, I go over the manuscript again making changes where they’re needed. More often than not, I’ll ask my editor to give it another once-over.

When my intention is for self-publication on Amazon, I usually try to create my cover artwork. Some authors prefer to hire a reputable company that specializes in book covers. Most of my Indie published book covers I created using special, desktop publishing software and researching royalty-free image websites such as Pond5.com and shutterstock.com. There are many others to choose from. (Word of advice, if you do go this route, please make sure the images you purchase for your cover art are royalty-free or you are asking for trouble.)

After the fiasco of my debut novel, and using the above procedure, it became easier with each subsequent book I’ve completed. Now, it is second-nature to use this method each and every time the muse strikes.

This is also how my book, Black Harvest, became the recipient of the 2014 New Apple Book Award and garnered 5 stars from Reader’s Favorite. Click here to read the Reader’s Favorite review in its entirety along with other reader’s comments.

As you might have guessed, when Black Harvest won the award, my excitement was immeasurable. This was my third, Indie published, book and the second in which I used the above method of writing. After my previous, mortifying, experiences as a writer, I had nearly given up any hopes of being taken seriously.


I went from humiliation to jubilation by refusing to give up my dream. I had to learn not to take shortcuts no matter how much I wanted to do just that. And, as you can see, it paid off.   
    
That’s about it for today, my friends. I’d love to hear any comments you might be willing to share with me and others who are struggling to perfect their craft.

Have a great day!

Kate

For more information on my books and other works please visit my website at www.kate-porter.net


                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The humiliations of my youth and why I'm thankful for them.

THE WEAPONS THEY USE...THE BACK STORY

Another Day, Another Adventure in Writing!