Memorial Day: A Time For Remembrances


Hello, my friends,

Normally, as those of you who read my blog regularly know, I usually post about my journey through my writing career. However, I feel that this is a time to salute those who have made it possible for me to do what I love to do.

So, let me just start with this: THANK YOU! I don’t think I say it enough, or truly appreciate your sacrifices. Thank you to those who have fought and died and are still fighting and dying to protect our nation and our freedom.

Thank you, police officers, firefighters, doctors, nurses, EMT’s, and all of you who come to our rescue in our times of need, even at the risk of your own safety. Everyone—unless you have been living in a cave for the past six months and have no contact with the outside world—knows that the COVID 19 pandemic has turned all of our lives upside down.

But there are those who have continued to serve and do their jobs with little to no recognition; Grocery store clerks, bank employees, auto mechanics, teachers, and those who delivered your pizza when you just don’t feel like cooking, are only a few.

Memorial Day, at one time was called Decoration Day, is upon us. The entire premise of this Federal Holiday is to REMEMBER the military personnel who have fought and died for their country. Did you know that this day had been observed on May 30 from 1868 to 1970? Now, however, it is held on the last Monday of May and is the official beginning of summer.

According to Wikipedia:
The origin of Memorial Day, or Decoration Day if you prefer, is ambiguous with over twenty-five places claiming to have originated the holiday. Some records show that southern women have decorated graves of soldiers even before the end of the Civil War. In 1865, after President Lincoln's assassination, ceremonies were widespread. The more than 600,000 soldiers of both sides who died in the Civil War meant that burial and memorization took on a new cultural significance.

Over the years, Memorial Day has been expanded to include other unsung heroes, such as the first responders, and civilians alike, who died during the 9/11 tragedies. And on that note, I'd like o share with you a poem that I wrote shortly after that horrific assault on America as a reminder of why we must never forget those who put their lives on the line every, blessed day.



The Lady, the Eagle, and the Bell

In a field of royal blue, fifty stars are standing proud,
As thirteen stripes dance in the wind, above a cheering crowd.
Our allegiance we feel strongly, deep within our heart.
Each one of us vowing to do our patriotic part.

With a wounded wing and a tear for all who died,
Our blessed Eagle soars across the morning sky.
The evil of the madmen have tried to break our will,
And though our twins have fallen, our resolve is stronger still.

Our freedoms we hold dearly, too many heroes fell.
For they are guarded closely,
by the Lady in the harbor, the Eagle, and the Bell.
  
Copyright 2001


My grandfather was in the Army during World War I. My father was wounded during the Korean Conflict. I have cousins who fought in Viet Nam and friends whose sons and daughters have been, and still are, in the Middle East.

I will close this post by paraphrasing George Santayana, by saying, “We can’t forget the past or we will be doomed to repeat it,” If we take our Military for granted we would be as bad as the tyrannical governments who oppress and subjugate their people for their own self-serving desires for power, pride and greed. Americans are better than that!


THANK YOU!

Kate
www.kate-porter.net

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The humiliations of my youth and why I'm thankful for them.

THE WEAPONS THEY USE...THE BACK STORY

TIME FOR A CHANGE-UP; WRITING CONTESTS